The aim of the course is for delegates to develop their knowledge of the importance of visual aids in supporting all children’s communication development. There is a particular focus on how visuals can be implemented and used effectively in supporting children with speech, language and/or communication needs (SLCN).
Symbols are a powerful tool in supporting the speech, language and communication development of all children, particularly EAL learners and children with SLCN. This course explores a range of visual strategies and helps delegates reflect on how they can introduce visual supports for young children. Lots of practical tips and advice is provided on the why, when and how to use a range of visual supports.
By the end of the course practitioners will:
- Understand what is meant by visuals.
- Be able to confidently reflect on why the use of visuals is so important.
- Identify the different types of visuals that can be used with young children.
- Understand what is meant by symbolic understanding in young children and how this relates to the visual hierarchy.
- Know who benefits from the use of visuals.
- Be confident using a range of top tips for making their own visuals.
- Understand how to effectively use objects of reference.
- Understand the importance of labelling the environment.
- Understand how to use choice boards.
- Understand how to use now/next and visual timetables.
- Know how to use visuals appropriately to support behaviour and emotional regulation in young children.
- Know what is meant by PECS.
- Understand how to use symbols to support transitions.
- Set an action plan for their setting in relation to use of visuals to support communication development.
You will be charged 100% of the course cost seven days before the course start date. This is applicable for all courses.
If the setting is participating in the Giving Voice Award they must have a nominated person as their Communication Champion who has completed Bronze level.
For information relating to the Giving Voice Recognition Award please refer to the FAQs
Free parking is available onsite. Refreshments will be provided
All Early Years Education and Childcare Practitioners
If the setting is participating in the Giving Voice Award then delegates MUST have attended Communication Champion Training OR Nursery Talk